Friday, September 07, 2007

A 2nd Trip to the ER

**Added September 8**
I guess I forgot to post last weekend... We first noticed the bite over a month ago, but to us it looked like an ant bite, and we did not think anything of it, and it seemed to be going away. There was still a little pink spot, but it did not seem like anything to worry about. Well, on Saturday I noticed that out of nowhere, it just flared up! It was bright red all around the bite and the bite itself was all pussy. So, I took her over to my mom's place and my mom and I headed for the ER. They told me at the ER that if we had not come in when we did, it could have turned to a staff infection! Those are NO FUN... my little brother had one a few years ago. So, the doctor put her on Amoxi and told me to take her to her family doctor on Friday.... So, we had a nurses appointment at 9am, and she asked me to come back at 10am for the doctor to look at it... and this is where my original post picks up
**end add**

So Gabby had her follow up appointment with her doctor today... She checked out the infected area on the bum, and said "it does not appear to have changed any." She called the hospital, and told them she was sending us over to see the surgeon. YIKES! I about went into panic mode at this point. She told me that since the antibiotics did not seem to be clearing up the problem, they may have to cut and drain the spot..... My poor baby! So I took Gabby to Walmart before we went to the hospital and got her some juice and some fruit snacks.... I figured we might have to wait a while since we were going through the ER. It took about 3 hours at the hospital... We saw the triage nurse first, and she took all of the vitals.... and then about 45 minutes later, Gabby was put into a room. She laid on her belly colouring a picture while we waited for the surgeon to come in and take a look. He looked at it and said "I hate to cut and scar such a cute little bum... lets give the antibiotics until Monday to work on it, and we will have another look then. If it is still rock hard and oozing, then we will set up to cut and drain the infection."
If you came for a visit and saw Gabby, you would never know that she is having this problem, because she is her normal self, unless we touch "that spot"! She is running all over the place and getting into everything, as always!

So, Monday we will see where we go next! Keep your fingers crossed that the antibiotics do the trick! I can't handle my baby girl being put under! And, I really want to know what did this to her! He said it look like a venom injecting bite. UGH!

Okay, novel over. Thanks for reading!

10 comments:

Steph said...

Oh no! I hope the antibiotics work too! Keep us updated!

Mommy of Four said...

Um....? Did I miss a post somewhere???? I never heard about this! What happened?!?! Anda VENOM injecting bite?! HOW?! And will/can they test to find out?!

Kelly said...

Yeah....I think there's a post missing. How long has she had this? Sounds nasty, I hope the antibiotis kick in soon!

Richards' said...

Okay, I added the missing part of the story... sorry about that, I thought I had posted about it.

Mommy of Four said...

....so....are you GOING to add the missing part??

Mommy of Four said...

....um.....yeah. I'm retarded.

Dena said...

Wow! That would be sad - hope the antibiotics work!

Anonymous said...

I think the better question is how did something that has venom get into her diaper to bite her?????????

Anonymous said...

DEAR ANONYMOUS

First, if you are going to make a comment like that at least have the guts to let Gwyn know who you are. If you knew her at all you would know she is a great mother. Children pick up bug bits etc all the time. Sometimes it is more serious. You cannot put your children in a bubble and protect them from everything no matter how hard you try. The older they get the bigger mistakes and problems they have. IF you have children I hope you never have to deal with a problem like this, but children get bites or can get a staph infection from scratching a bite after playing outside. This is quite common according to Gwyn’s old pediatrician back in Houston who was Chief of Pediatrics at the hospital. When her brother got the staph infection (at age 15) this is what he told us. So ANONYMOUS think before you made such a hurtful comment. Gwyn may not tell you but she was very upset by your comment especially since you did not have the guts to let her know who you are. Next time you want to make such a mean comment at least have the guts to sign your name.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean it to be harmful/hurtful in any manner I meant it more because what kind of venomous bug would be crawling down a toddlers diaper. I am sorry for the hurtful comment but I SERIOUSLY did not mean it that way and the reason I did not sign my name is because Gwyn does not know me I just happened upon her blog. Sorry again I really did not mean it to be so. Please believe me as a sister in Christ I ask that you forgive me as I really did not mean to cause you any pain.