Thursday, November 03, 2005

23 weeks, and a Karate Pro in my tummy!

Well, things have been going great around here. I have very few complaints. I officially have health insurance, I am just waiting on the doctor listing. I hope that my old doctor is on there, then I would not have to pay for a doctors visit to get a referral for an OBGyn. I really can't wait to get to a doctor. I want to make sure everything is okay with the baby. There is a lot of movement, sometimes he/she stretches so much it hurts! My skin is stretching, and I can feel it! All these feelings that I was not prepared for, but it's all worth what we get in the end! I got an add to Burlington Coat Factory, and they have some really nice cribs on sale! I am going to go look on Sunday, hopefully Chris does not have to work, and can go with me.

Well, I guess that is all for now. Hope all is well for all of you!


23 Weeks at Babycenter.com
How your baby's growing: Your baby is more than 11 inches long and weighs just over a pound. His skin is red and wrinkled. Blood vessels in his lungs are developing to prepare him for breathing. He can swallow, but he normally won't pass his first stool (called meconium) until after birth. Loud noises heard often in utero — such as your dog barking or the roar of a vacuum cleaner — probably won't faze your baby when he hears them outside the womb.

How your life's changing: If you dealt with headaches in your first trimester, they might be subsiding now. (Many women have headaches in early pregnancy, thanks to pregnancy hormones, changes in circulation, and/or sinus congestion.)You may notice some mild swelling sometime during your pregnancy, especially in your ankles and feet. It's called edema, and it happens because changes in your blood chemistry cause fluid to shift into your tissue and because your enlarging uterus puts pressure on the veins returning blood from the lower half of your body, slowing circulation in your legs. Edema is often worse at the end of the day and in the summer. Your body will eliminate the extra fluid after you have your baby (which is why you may urinate often and sweat a lot for a few days after delivery). In the meantime, put your feet up when you can, stretch out your legs when you sit, avoid sitting still for long periods, exercise regularly to increase circulation, and wear support stockings (put them on first thing in the morning). You may be tempted to skimp on liquids, but you need to drink plenty of water, because keeping hydrated actually helps prevent swelling. If you notice severe or sudden swelling in your hands and face, be sure to call your midwife or doctor because it may be a sign of a serious condition called preeclampsia.

2 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

Hey, you can always just call your doc's office and ask them if they accept your insurance plan. That way you don't have to wait to find out! And the sooner you get in, the better! So glad you have insurance now!!!!!!!!!! Hey, if your skin is getting uncomfortable (itchy, or over-stretched feeling) try using Palmers cocoa butter after showering. Also, Vaseline has bath/shower oil. Pour it into a bath and soak in it. I was so itchy and uncomfortable with Jadon during the winter. I had to do the oil bath followed by cocoa butter twice a day! Good luck!

Heather Durkee said...

I second that Tammy. I am so glad you have insurance though. Weren't you freaking out before? That would be a bit scary...