Thursday, January 15, 2009

What is wrong with Gabby!

Okay, so as some of you know, I have been dealing with a lot of problems from Gabby. Gabby will be 3 next month, and the older she gets, the worse it gets. I had the first of many consults with her doctor yesterday. While ha and I talked, he observed her every action and word. It kind of stinks, because he did not see the "evil" side of her that we see daily. She was actually pretty good. But she did do some of the things that have concerned me. After about an hour and a half of sitting in the room and talking, he told me that he had a lot of information from me and her and that from what he could see right now, he considers it ODD (Oppositional defiant disorder). This scares me, a lot! I am not one to medicate my kids, I try to avoid any and all meds, but untreated, I am understanding, this can be bad. He said right no she is to young for meds for this, the best we can do is change the way we discipline... Rather than telling her "no" he said to redirect her attention. Avoid negative words as much as we can. Today while my mom was watching her, she was very naughty. My mom told her "Gabby you are beeing naughty." Gabby replied "No, I'm not naughty, I'm a BRAT!" Okay, I admit it, that s my fault, I call her a brat all the time... but I am trying to stop that!

Chris told me today that he can't handle the two girls on his own. He had them for two hours tonight while I was at a Mary Kay party. He had a hard time just in those 2 hours. So, I really don't know what I will do with them while I am in the hospital for 2 months....... ugh!

If you would like to read more about ODD I googled it and there are lots of things that pop up... Here is the link to the wikipidia results
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppositional_defiant_disorder

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

Try reading these Very helpful.

Dare To Discipline by James Dobson

The Heart of Anger by Lou Priolo

Sincerely,
Jacqueline

Just a suggestion from a reader of your blog.