Thursday, December 01, 2005

27 weeks.... May I have a nap?

Ok, so now I have a doctor, and the insurance company is still wishy washy.... I have another number to try tomorrow morning. They need to update their website! So, the doctors office says that I just have to sign a form stating that I will go along with what they say from here now until delivery. I can handle that, I HAVE A DOCTOR! I get to see an ultrasound! I am about to cry, because I have wanted to see my baby so bad for so long!

I was wondering why my leg kept cramping at night, it hurts sooooo bad! And the baby has been moving a lot more lately.... The reason for that and more are found below!


27 Weeks!!!!
How your baby's growing: Your baby is really starting to fill up your uterus. This week he weighs almost 2 pounds and is about 14.4 inches long with his legs extended. He can now open and close his eyes, and he sleeps and wakes at regular intervals. He may suck his fingers, and although his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with assistance — if he were to be born prematurely. Chalk up any rhythmic movement you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and isn't bothersome to him, so enjoy the tickle. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. Wonder what he's thinking?

How your life's changing: Your body is gearing up for the final lap, so you may start noticing some new symptoms. Along with an aching back, for example, you may find that your leg muscles cramp up now and then. They're carrying extra weight, after all, and your uterus is putting extra demands on your circulation. (As your uterus expands, it puts pressure on the blood vessels that return blood from your legs to your heart and on the nerves leading from your trunk to your legs.) Unfortunately, the cramps are likely to get worse as your pregnancy progresses. Leg cramps are more common at night but can also happen during the day. Flexing your foot (by pointing your toes forward and then flexing them back toward your shins) stretches the calf and should give you some relief. Walking for a few minutes or massaging your calf sometimes helps, too.

It may be the furthest thing from your mind right now, but it's not too soon to think about family planning. You'll want to have made some decisions before your baby arrives. And in some states, if you're considering a tubal ligation during your hospital stay, laws require that you sign a consent form at least a month before delivery day. (You can still change your mind later.)

2 comments:

Mommy of Four said...

I still, to this day, never stretch with my toes pointed down since the cramping during my pregnancy with Jadon. I ALWAYS (habitually now) stretch with my toes pointed as far back towards my tummy as they can go! And I am happy to report that I have had not a single cramp since I got that update during my last pregnancy! It really works!!! Hey, when is your doc appt.?

Richards' said...

I talked to the doctors office today... basically, if I don't have my insurance info, it will cost me at least $200 for the first visit... My boss is trying to find out my member number so that I can use the insurance, as I don't have an extra $200 and chances are, it will be more. I am trying to get an appointment for next week though.