Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I want out of my contract!

Okay, so today was the first day of inservice at the school. We sat in a meeting from 10:30am to nearly 4pm. We did stop around 12 for lunch... This stuff is so boring! Basically, the new principal wants us to teach the standardized test. I asked a question about our science curriculum and basically she said that it did not matter because we are teaching from the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills). Our main focus is now making sure the students can test well on a standardized test... What happened to the Bible, our Christian faith, isn't that the reason parents put their children in Christian school? Those of you who took education classes with me, or know me well enough to talk about my education beliefs, know that I hate standardized testing; not to mention teaching just that. These kids need more than just a stupid test. They need experience, discovery, and excitement in the classroom. Limiting them to just the test takes away a lot of that!

After work, I met Chris at my parents house. Christian had spent the day with Charlie (my baby brother). We had dinner with the family... My dad is an amazing cook! After dinner, Chris, Christian and I headed home. I have to work early in the morning, and I am not used to getting up! So I need to finish filling out all the stupid paperwork, even though I don't want to be there, and then it is off to bed for me. Hope all is well with all of you!

4 comments:

Steph said...

wow, that would be frustrating! I'm sure you can find a way around it tho, you're creative.

I finally put some wedding pics up on my photo blog sapfotoes.blogspot.com

Heather Durkee said...

At least you don't have to use ABeka. I am not a big fan of it because you don't get to teach that much and it has way to much curriculum to cover in a year. Children don't have any fun because they always have too much work to do.

Mommy of Four said...

What are you going to do when the baby comes? At least you know you won't be there too much longer!

Richards' said...

Most of our books are Abeka, but she wants us to focus on the test more than the curriculum. The school does not know about the baby, and since they don't think it is important to forewarn us about things coming up, I think I will wait a while before I let them know about it... like when I start really showing!