Wednesday, August 31, 2005

What to do with a bunch of people from Louisiana

So, as the aftermath of Katrina continues to haunt those from Louisiana, we in Houston take these people in. There are people all over the place, Louisiana plates everywhere. Local Churches, businesses, and the Red Cross are doing all that they can to help these people. The Astrodome (our historic baseball stadium, which is not longer used for a baseball stadium) will be used to house those who were sheltered at the stadium in Louisiana. Hotels are booked solid, and radio stations are collecting money and gift cards to give to them. Our local Dollar Tree has been making a lot of business in the past few days as well.
I heard on the radio today that there are a lot of women who are pregnant and close to delivery can't find doctors to take them in, because they don't have any medical records. There was one doctor that called and said that she was willing to take some of them, but obviously could not take them all.
I never thought that a storm could cause so much hardship and pain. It hurts us here in Texas, just to see our neighboring state in so much pain. We do what we can, but there is only so much that we can do.
*On another note, please pray for Chris and me. We are both having problems at work, and are kind of at a period of "what do we do?" I found out from a few other co-workers that myself and one other teacher that was there last year are still at the same pay as last year (I knew that part), but all of the people who were hired this year were hired making more than 4,000 more than us. That may not sound like much when you figure in that it is yearly, but when you figure that I only make 18,500 in a year, and they make 23,000 a year, divide that by 10 months and then 2 pay checks a month. Before tax, I am getting 925 per pay check... It figures to just under 800 after taxes. They are making 1,150 per pay check and after taxes for me that would figure to about 1,000. Please understand, this is not jealousy, this is pure anger! I was lied to in my meeting about my contract. The principal told me that day that the school could not afford to pay any teachers more than 18,500 a year. I don't believe this school is remembering that God comes first... Everything about the school is making it seem like a public school. Chris is having problems with is supervisor. They are using him and taking advantage of him because he works hard and does his job. It is not fair to him, they make him drive all over Houston, and don't pay gas or mileage. He wants to quit, but we can't afford for him to do that. Just please pray.

No comments: